Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Well my grandmother passed and she had left a trust, my

Customer Question
Well my grandmother passed...

Well my grandmother passed and she had left a trust, my father got a hold of it, and I have been asking him for a copy of the trust, only because my grandmother had said she left me some shares, but my father will not give me a copy is there something that can be done?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

II have no documents the only supporting evidence is the text my dad sent me

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats about it for now I guess

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/27/2017
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

There are a couple of options here. First, if your grandmother had an attorney, you can reach out to them. They should be able to tell you if you're a named beneficiary in the trust. But also, if your father is the trustee, you can file a lawsuit against him for Breach of Fiduciary Duty. A person who is tasked with administering a trust is obligated to carry out the instructions in the trust documents. He can't decide on his own that he doesn't want to give you what was left. As part of a lawsuit, you'll be able to request a copy of the Trust documents from him.

The third option is to hire an attorney in the county where your father lives and ask them to issue a subpoena for the trust documents. A lawyer can issue a subpoena when they have a reasonable belief that the information provided in the documents will lead to a lawsuit. You've got a text suggesting that you've inherited something, but promises from your grandmother. That should be enough to get a subpoena. Once you have the documents, then you'll have a better idea of the next steps and whether a lawsuit is necessary.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reply WITHOUT RATING so I may address them. My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Otherwise, please rate my answer positively so I get credit for assisting you today. Mobile users may have to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?