Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

A legal battle with our younger sister over "which sister…

Customer Question
Thank you! A...

Thank you! A legal battle with our younger sister over "which sister was trustee and who got what of our mother's trust," took us to court. We put up with her lies for 3 years and $200,000 in legal fees. Finally, when she saw that the judge was on our side, our younger sister would only agree to a "secret" agreement about distribution of the funds. She gave a logical reason that if her debtors heard she got money, they would take it. The judge approved the "secret" agreement as we all said we approved in court and signed it. Then, when we all went to the bank, younger sister told the bank that the agreement did not matter, that she and my older sister were trustees and could devide the money as they pleased. My older sister had no intention of going along with her but she is very weak and was scared to take sides. Plus, the younger sister's plan gave the older sister more money than the one we were fighting for. Late in life, my mother told my older sister to rewrite the will with my children in it. She did that. And that is what started the battle. Neither other sister has children. The bank locked up the case again and would do nothing. Our lawyer said all we have to do is go to court and have them give another order that the secret agreement was to be followed, but that would be much more money to the courts and our lawyer. Our sister did not have a lawyer but sues a lot of people so knows how to do that without a lawyer. Well, we did get the bank to believe us about the court order and they did disperse all the money. The agreement states that our lawyer would disperse the funds. They did get the money and they did disperse the funds. The bank never saw the "secret document," but Younger Sister made such a stink that they went ahead and gave the money to our lawyer to disperse. Now there is one more bank account that has no trustee, but it is mentioned in the "secret agreement." Actually, most of it goes to our lawyer. All but the interest of $400 goes to our lawyer.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

My question is, if one party goes against the "secret agreement" do you have to keep it a secret from the bank?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No - that is proably too much lol

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/26/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Who was the agreement "secret" from and was it signed into a court order?

email is best.

I do not mind paying $35 dollars for the answer, but I feel that telling me that this is free up front is rather unscrupulous. And now saying that there is a problem with my payment and not even giving me my free response, is quite shocking.

Please be aware that I, and the other Experts on the site, are site users like you (I am NOT an employee of JA), and I do not (and can not) see any account info or address payment issues, but Customer Service will be happy to assist you.

If you are having trouble, you can reach Customer Service assistance at this link:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

where you can chat, call, or send a support request. You can also email directly to***@******.***

Thanks.