Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My question is in regards to my father who died march 15…

Customer Question
Hello, My name is *****...
Hello, My name is ***** ***** question is in regards ***** ***** father who died march 15 2016 and was the owner to property down in Mississippi. his family seems to be giving me the run around after my dad specifically stated that he wanted me to sign on to the deeds. I'm being told that an older aunt in Mississippi is handling the property and its only land . I was told by my dad that its lots of property and homes on the land. how long does the family have to dangle me around before I cannot get my daddy's property?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/26/2017
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. In order to answer your question, I need to know some information.

Did your Father have a Will? And if so, are you mentioned in it?

Was you Father married at the time of his death?

Do you have any siblings?

my father had no will no wife the sister and brother have no interest. my dad also stated and I'm not being greedy that I was the apple of his eyes and I was the only one to inherit.
many family members confirmed as I already knew. he was willed this property from a dead aunt.

So, you are saying that you have a sister and a brother? Also, what state did your dad live? Was it Mississippi also?

the brother and the sister yes have no interest he passed away in California he traveled to and fro
California resident sir

Thank you for the additional information. If your siblings renounce (give up) their share, then you are entitled to inherit all that your Father owned in his name only. So, if he owned property in Mississippi, you are entitled to inherit it.

It should not take that long. Your Father died almost two years ago. I am not sure why the aunt is handling the estate unless you gave her the right to do it. Since you are your siblings are first in line to inherit, then you should be handling the estate. You would inherit it all unless his other family members' names are ***** ***** property too.

If you have any further questions, just let me know.

I did not nor do I give permission to handle the estate they have already sold some of my dads property without my permission they are not answering questions and giving me the run around when I ask questions. that's why I'm asking how long can they pay the taxes before the property is theirs and I no longer have any rights

It would be impossible for them to sell the property if it was in your dad's name unless someone became the personal representative of your Father's estate. And if that was the case, you would have gotten notice, and if you did not, you can challenge it. It would take 10 years to get the property from you if they are living on the land. However, you should act quickly in any event. If they are not giving you the information, then you would demand the information in court. If you have any further questions, just let me know.

sure how do I go about demanding the information in court

It is a bit complicated. First, you would have to open an estate proceeding in the CA county where your dad lived. You would have to become the personal representative. Then you would have to open a proceeding in Mississippi in the county where the land is. Then you would file subpoenas on them.

la county
wow
okay I can do that

Yes. You would have to open an estate proceeding in LA County.

subpoenas on who the family or the land?
on WHO SUBPONEAS ON THE FAMILY .... OR THE LAND?

The Family.

SMH

The Family. You would actually have to file a motion. I am not sure what SMH means.

NOW YOU MADE ME LAUGH A LITTLE SMH MEANS SHAKING MY HEAD YOU KNOW FROM SIDE TO SIDE IN DISBELIEF LIKE... ITS A SHAME.
IM HURT ANGRY AND SCARED I DONT HAVE MY DADDY. ITS COOL THO YOUR A DOLL FACE

Thank you.

I understand.

I have to step away now, but I think I sent you in the right direction. It's a lot of work for you but the key is to just persist with the process. So, the first step is to file a probate proceeding in LA County either in person or on line.

http://www.lacourt.org/division/probate/probate.aspx

Best regards.