Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My dad recently passed, and he and I were on the deeds to…

Customer Question
My dad recently passed...

My dad recently passed, and he and I were on the deeds to property as joint tenants with rights of survivorship. I'm an attorney and long ago I used to do estate planning, but I'm out of practice. I'm trying to find a template online that would show me how to do the transfer now.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Sure, it's in California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Just the deeds on the 2 properties. There are no mortgages or liens.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/26/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

My condolences for your loss.

If you are the surviving joint tenant on the real estate then there is nothing else you really need to do.

You are the sole owner as the surviving joint tenant. The sole ownership passed to you on your late father's death automatically, by law, outside of probate.

If you are selling the properties, all you need do is prepare a deed from you as the owner of record and present it with your father's death certificate to the title company.

I would like to prepare a deed for that purpose, as well as evicting the current tenant, but I don't have any template deeds on my Microsoft Word, and I've been having a rough time trying to find something suitable online. Do you have any suggestions?

You do not really need a new deed. You are the sole owner by the existing deed.

You can fill out and file an Affidavit of Surviving Joint Tenant with the county recorder of deeds if you just want there to be public notice of your ownership as the surviving joint tenant.

You can maintain a forcible detainer now, without any further action on your part regarding title.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!