Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in North Carolina and have a cottage in Myrtle Beach,

Customer Question
I live in North...

I live in North Carolina and have a cottage in Myrtle Beach, SC. My wife passed away in September. I am trying to get the deed changed from joint to my name only. I have contacted an attorney who has asked for a $1500 retainer. This seems excessive to me. I am 83 years old. Any advice you give will be appreciated.. Jesse Beaman

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

I live in North Carolina but the property is in Myrtle Beach, SC

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a copy of the will and a death certificate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Don't think so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/24/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You can file this yourself.You file for probate in Myrtle Beach

Application (Informal) / Petition (Formal) for Probate of Will or Appointment (Mandatory)

http://www.lex-co.sc.gov/departments/DeptIQ/ProbateCourt/Pages/ProbateForms.aspx

This would get you appointed personal representative.You can then do Deed of Distribution from yourself as PR of the estate to yourself individually..

Distribution Deed Forms

https://www.uslegalforms.com/sc/SC-SDEED-8-10.htm

Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

I am so sorry for your loss of loved one.

I wish you a Happy Holidays too.

And honestly thats a pretty reasonable fee quote for doing this.There is an application, deed, inventory of assets, involved, notice to creditors.But you are free to do this yourself if you choose.