Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My friend died and i want to know if he has any relatives…

Customer Question
Second opinion] my friend died...
Second opinion] my friend died and i want to know if he has any relatives becasue the taxes hasnt been paidJA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?Customer: texasJA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?Customer: none i just know he is dead and the house has been empty since 2014 i called to see about the taxes and they getting ready to auction off the propertyJA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?Customer: if i pay the taxes would i be able to put my horse on the preperyt
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

IF they are getting ready to take the property in a tax auction, you can buy the property in the tax auction, which would give you the tax lien on the property. If you just pay the taxes, then you have to track down the relatives and you have to sue for reimbursement to get a court judgment to seek to levy the property, which means you could not just use the property.

If you get the property in a tax auction, if they do not redeem the property within 2 years from the auction and you filing the deed then you become the property owner. See: Tex. Tax Code § 34.21.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.