Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Is it legal for apartments to tell you that you owe one list…

Customer Question
Is it legal for apartments...
Is it legal for apartments to tell you that you owe one list of charges, sighn it, and then tell you that you owe more becasue they were just being nice the first time they sent you charges?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/22/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 4 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Is there evidence to support the charges/claims which they are making?

hello
I have the list of original charges and it didnt have my pet deposit on it. It makes the difference of wether or not i owe them or they owe me

They can only charge you for what is legally owed and which you are responsible for. If they performed an inspection and presented you with the final bill and you signed off and paid it, it could remain. If they looked after and found this prior to sending you the final bill, they could charge it.

i have not signed off on anything.
but they signed it saying it was how much i owed. and told me they were just being "nice" and that they are charging me for the full amount if im going to press for a pet deposit return.

If nothing was final and they are still inspecting, they could submit and charge you for a final bill

Will the words be "Final Bill" on the top of it and are they required to show me this before its sent to collections?

Yes, they would need to send a final bill to you and ask for it to be paid. They can not just send something to collections which they have yet to present.

who can i call locally to represent me in my case and do i have a argument here?
I did not mean to press the call button!

You can retain a civil litigation attorney if this cannot be settled or resolved and need to defend a lawsuit or sue them.

LegalKnowledge, Attorney