Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

Mom (by grant deed) granted her home to herself as trustee…

Customer Question
Second opinion] mom (by grant...
Second opinion] mom (by grant deed) granted her home to herself as trustee of her trust and listed the correct date of the trust but omitted to list the trust by name in the deed. mom has since died. does this make the property unmarketable? the property is listed in the schedule of assets of her trust. could the successor trustee show this to a buyer to prove she had marketable title? If not, could seller financing or some other form of seller incentive help to sell the property?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/22/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 2 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

At this point a suit to quiet title appears to be the only legal remedy.Since she deceased it would not be possible to correct this by deed.Trustee would have lawyer file such a suit and then the court orders here are good title and proeprty can then be sold by trustee ro transferred.

I think the suit to quiet title to cure title defect is the only way to resolve this legally.This is a common procedure when such title defects exist so that you get clear title by court order and then full value in a sale.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Good luck here.

I wish you Happy Holidays too.

RayAnswers
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney