Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My parents died w/in the past 2 years. I have a younger

Customer Question
My parents died...

My parents died w/in the past 2 years. I have a younger sister. my sister never left home. She feels that because she staid home and "helped" my parents - all their life. I have no ownership in my parent's house now because of all the $$ she paid while she lived at home. I maintain none of that matters. Even if I had been on death row when my folks died - since they had no will - half the property is mine. The property is worth only 40K at best. I aam willing to turn the property over to my sister - because she chooses to live in the house. However, she has no exclusive ownership ion the property because of what she did when my folks were alive.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Dallas TX

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Just have the deed that my sister had changwed putting her name and mine on the deed. We both agree that its only the two of us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

A big issue now is property tax. We got a bill for $450 because my name is ***** ***** deed and it is not my primary residence. My sister is 68 and I am 71. I feel we should split the tax bill because if my sister had not elected to live in the house would have sold it and would not have any cost. She says I should pay the whole $450 tax bill. I believe that each of us paying half is fair

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I'm sorry to hear about your parent's passing. So, because you and her are the new owners of the property, then you will be jointly and severally liable for that remaining tax bill. This means that the law is basically going to say, "It's up to you," how you are going to resolve this. In most cases, because you are 50/50 owners, people will split the cost; however, it's not always so easy in practice. Keep in mind that you are at least partially responsible for the bill, but paying half is generally what is recommended and what happens in most of these cases. She can't avoid her liability for any reason if she is partial owner of the home. If you pay the bill, you can seek reimbursement from her potentially since she reneged on her obligation.

Did you have other questions for me regarding this?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney