Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My sister died in TN. I live in FL. I am my sister's next of…

Customer Question
My sister died in...

My sister died in TN. I live in FL. I am my sister's next of kin. I am disabled and unable to travel to TN. I want to give my daughter my power of attorney so she can travel to TN to take care of my sister's affairs. How can I transfer my power of attorney to my daughter?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

My daughter and I live in Florida.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

We have been trying to get information. We just found out she passed away in Tennessee.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is Kelly. I'm the daughter. My mother is giving me power of attorney to handle my aunt's affairs. I am a paralegal and draw up the Power of Attorney and we can have it signed (with witnesses and then have it notarized). My question is will this Power of Attorney be accepted in Tennessee. I cannot make any kind of arrangements to fly up there without having the appropriate paperwork. I am able to do most of this on my own. I just want to know if the durable power of attorney is going to suffice in order to access my late aunt's apartment, storage lockers and bank account. My aunt's estate is not worth but about $5,000.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Power of attorney terminates on death. If the grantor of the poa is alive, that person can terminate the poa and grant to someone else. The poa cannot assign to someone else. On death, affairs handled by executor named in a will, or an adminstrator appointed by the court.

There is no will. my mother is the next of kin. However, she is disabled and unable to travel. Therefore, she wants to appoint me (her daughter) as power of attorney so that I can travel from Florida to Tennessee where my aunt lived and died. Her assets are limited to under $20,000. It's probably in the area of $5,000.00. So, would a poa, signed and notarized here in Florida suffice to get what I need to get done in Tennessee?

A poa can be given by someone to handle own affairs.

A poa cannot be used to assign handling of affairs of the deceased.

She may hire a lawyer locally to act on her behalf.

Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.