Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom recently passed and on her bank accounts and I am…

Customer Question
My mom recently passed...

My mom recently passed and I am POD on her bank accounts and I am co-owner of her house and car - is any of that property considered part of a will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the titles for the home and the car and the bank account has already been deposited in my account

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There is a will that predates my name being put on the bank account and the house and car

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/20/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much for your considerable patience on this. So, generally, any property that the deceased person has the title to, including all stocks, bonds, cash, real estate, business interests, and personal property, will be a part of their estate. In your case, you should look at your mother's will and determine if she made any distributions for the bank account, home, and car. If they aren't specifically mentioned, they're going to fall into the "residuary estate" which just basically means everything not specifically listed, but was owned by her at the time of her death.

Did you have any other questions for me?