Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband and I owned a bar and lounge. He has passed away…

Customer Question
My husband and I...

My husband and I owned a bar and lounge. He has passed away leaving about $50,000 in debt and no insurance of any kind. Are the creditors allowed to seize my property? The bar and lounge are my only source of income.

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have a death certificate and the paper work making me the sole proprietor of the properity because he did leave a will leaving his possessions to me. But no money just debt.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/19/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Loren, Attorney
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.
WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.
Did you sign for his debt? Was the bar titled to both of you?
Florida is not a community property state. So, spouses can have individual debt which the other is not personally liable for.
So, no, if you did not sign for the debt or guaranty its repayment, creditors can not seize any property you own alone.
They can make a claim in probate for your late husband’s individually owned property or his interest in property you both held title to.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question? Please let me know.
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 6 months ago

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!