Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

When writing a letter to your attorney how do you word it.

Customer Question
$8,000.00 dollars should have been...
when writing a letter to your attorney how do you word it. $8,000.00 dollars should have been taken out of an estate account that went to my husband three sons, but my attorney goofed and did not take it out, she is now trying to get me to pay her out of my trust account. how do I tell her that I owe her no money,
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/19/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalKnowledge, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalKnowledge, Attorney

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Do you know why it was not taken from there and why she is holding you responsible?

She divided the money, among my husbands three sons, then realized that she goofed, she should have checked first to see how much money was left in the estate before she divided the money. She sent me a bill for $13,000.00 which was to be paid out of the estate, but there was only $5,000.00 left in the estate, so I sent her the $5,000.00 that was left in the estate, she then tried to get me to pay her $8,000.00 out of my own pocket, I said no, she's now trying to get my husbands three sons to pay her which they should, and if they don't she wants me to pay her out of my trust account, which I said no. the three sons wanted their money and put a lot of pressure on her, so she gave into them and divided the money before all the legal fees were paid. Estate is liable for all legal fees, so therefore she should have made sure that all legal fees were paid before she made final distributions from the estate.

Thank you and please allow me a moment to respond.

Yes, you are correct. If she messed up, she needs to go back and recover her money from the estate, which was paid out. Why she is going after you and holding you liable I do not understand unless you hired her and were a guarantee for payment for her services Even though, her mistake should not fall on you and she needs to take the necessary steps to recover the money, even if that means legal actions against those who she overpaid 0r wrongfully paid out to. That can be explained to her and if she refuses to do this you can file a complaint against her with the Bar and they can try and get involved to resolve this fee dispute.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!