Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed away in August. My parents had purchased…

Customer Question
My mother passed away...

My mother passed away in August. My parents had purchased plots in 1985. My father passed in 1989. My mother was remarried, and her wishes remained that she be buried in the plot beside my father. Her husband had a head stone placed on top of her grave that includes her name, as well as his. We were never contacted by the memorial park. What are our rights regarding having this head stone removed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

PA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the deed for the lots, and she was buried there on 8/21/17.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of. Shouldn't we have been contacted by the memorial park prior to another head stone being placed on top of my mothers' grave?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/18/2017
Estate Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you!

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience. I also happen to have experience in the regulation of the funeral industry. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Please accept my sincere condolences for your loss. I know how difficult it is to lose your parents. It is especially difficult when the actions of another person seem to insult the wishes of your mother.

I am afraid that you are not going to be happy with my response - but I would not want to mislead you and add to your sorrow by leading you to believe there was a remedy here.

Unless your mother had a prearrangement contract that specified her desires to the memorial park, then the arrangements would fall to her current spouse. Under Pennsylvania law the current spouse has the authority to make the final arrangements for the deceased spouse.

This means that her husband had the authority to order the head stone (and make the other arrangements) for your mother. This is so even though the plots had been previously purchased.

I agree that it was selfish and callous of her husband to do this without concern for your feelings and without consulting you.

As for the memorial park, they had little choice in the matter.

Here is a link to the PA Law:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/20/00.003.005.000..HTM

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald