Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The question regards to an estate if there was a will naming…

Hi the question regards *****...
Hi the question regards ***** ***** estate if there was a will naming 2 family members each get 50% of the bank accounts normally how long does it take to transfer the assets?
12/17/2017
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

It will typically take 9-12 months before an estate is to a point where the executor can disburse assets because there are statutory time frames that must be complied with, like the creditor claims period, which lasts 4 months where any creditor can file a claim with the executor for any debt that is owed. All taxes have to be filed and clearances received from the state and IRS as well..

.

.

thanks

ok what if the executor is not following the will if it shows 50% each but the executor said you will get a lot less what can be done?

You can file an objection with the probate court judge if you don't get half of whatever is left over after all the debts, bills, and expenses of the estate are paid. The executor doesn't have the legal authority to deviate from the will and the judge can make sure this is crystal clear if they try some other division..

.

.

thanks

ok thank so will they need Attorney?

You are very welcome..

.

And no, they can file their own objection without an attorney when the time comes.. The executor has to distribute assets and then file a final accounting with the court and get the beneficiaries to sign off agreeing that they got what they are entitled to. If an heir doesn't sign, then it goes to a hearing and that is when the heir can notify the judge that the executor is not following the directives in the will.

.

.

thanks

Barrister, Attorney
thank you for all the help

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.