Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband of 15 years signed a document,with his now

Customer Question
My husband of 15...

My husband of 15 years signed a document,with his now deceased wife. according to his children,some 20 years ago,,, that all of his antiques and artwork are in trust to his children. I was unaware of this when I married him.. He is now bankrupt, owes IRS near 200,000 dollars. He has no income, no life insurance, no IRS, NOTHING. The IRS is now taking his social security, 500 dollars a month. He is 89 years old. we have a 200.000 dollar morgage. I am 25 years younger. I am 66 and working part time..Can he sell any of the art work in our home to settle his debts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Pa

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Not sure I understand. I have never seen the document that states that my husband's kids own the art work

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I was unaware of his IRS debt when we were married, unfortunately, we have filed jointly since our marriage.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/13/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 8 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

I would say yes he can sell it here if no copy of this document was presented to him or you.It would be very hard for her heirs ,his children to enforce this , especially if he sells it ans his debts or necessaries.If he needs to sell it he should do so and take his chances.I cannot see the children being able to enforce the document if it exists.Since you haven't seen it then it probably doesn't exist.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.