Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

My 95 year old mother originally had a living trust naming

myself and my 2 sisters...
My 95 year old mother originally had a living trust naming myself and my 2 sisters as executors/beneficiaries. My sister who lives with my mom recently took her to an attorney so my mom could "preserve her property and her trust". My sister will not let the two of us know what my mom did and I'm wondering if my mom took us off of her living trust. My mom is currently in a nursing home and cannot answer questions. How do I find out? Thank you.
JA: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: California.
JA: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?
Customer: I have a copy of the original will and living trust naming all three of us.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I asked my sister for the attorney information so I could ask him/her myself. She won't give it to me. I don't know my rights.
12/13/2017
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
I am sorry to hear this. Is there any indication of manipulation due to the parent's age? Is the parent of sound mind?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I believe she was manipulated. The sister who lives with her and took her to the attorney claims she is my mom's caregiver. She also has nothing where my other sister and myself own our homes.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I obtain a copy of her living trust and will?

Just a few more minutes; I was downloading information and the site froze. I apologize for the delay.

Basically a living trust and a will is a private document and the person who had it drafted has no duty to disclose that information to anyone.

So there are 2 options in such a case if one suspects undue influence which will be discussed below. Undue influence is when a person in a position of trust uses that position to manipulate a vulnerable adult to their benefit. For situations where the person passes, the court will look to see if the bequest was a natural bequest- so for example, was the main heir closer to the parent throughout their life, and if so did the decedent express ongoing intent/commitment to leave that heir additional/disproportionate funds because of that close relationship? Was other natural heirs estranged which would explain a disrepancy?
The court will look to the totality of the circumstances because while a person can of course leave their estate in unequal shares to their adult children, the court will, upon a challenge, look to see if that appeared to be a natural byproduct of their particular relationships, or if there was undue influence or issues of mental incapacity.
If this can be proven-this can be proven by circumstancial evidence (ie prior wills compared to current will, date of each will, etc), medical provider's testimony as to mental capacity, statements as to the heirs' relationships with the decedent by the heirs, family, and friends.

The second option is to deal with it when the person is alive and that requires bringing a financial elder exploitation lawsuit which alleges undue influence.

Both cases require testimony as to the individual's mental capacity, information as to possible manipulation, etc. These type of cases are highly contested so it is often best to hire an attorney especially if one is concerned there is a power of attorney that may be implicated or other financial control that may deplete assets.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:

LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney