Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

MY BROTHER HAS POWER OF ATTORNEY OF MY MOM'S ESTATE AND

Customer Question
MY BROTHER HAS POWER OF...
MY BROTHER HAS POWER OF ATTORNEY OF MY MOM'S ESTATE AND ASSETS. THIS WAS SET UP IN FEBRUARY 2015. THIS HAPPENED IN PALM BEACH COUNTY FLORIDA. HE LIVES IN EAST MORICHES, LI, N.Y..
I SAW THE WILL. IT SAID WE EACH GET 50 PERCENT OF THE ASSETS. THERE WAS 400K IN A CHASE SAVINGS ACCT. 210K IN CHASE INVESTMENT ACCT. A UBS ACCT WHICH WAS 70 PERCENT
STOCK AND 30 IRAS, 401KS ETC. THAT WAS WORTH 1 MILLION 20THOUSAND IN APRIL OF 2015. SINCE THEN I
TOOK ALL THE STOCKS
AND WITH THE SHARES
I CALCULATED BASED 930K BASED ON A 2015 STAREMENT . SO I'M FIGURING 930K AND CASH WAS ABOUT 300K.
MY BROTHER WAS SUPPOSED TO GET THE HOUSE IN MY AND I WAS SUPPOSED TO GET THE
HOUSE IN FLORIDA. MY
BROTHER HAS BEEN SPENDING MY MOM'S MONEY LIKE CRAZY .
WHAT CAN I DO
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/13/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Is mother still living?

.

If so, is she mentally competent to handle her own affairs?

,

What is he spending the money on?

.

.

thanks

MY MOM is still alive SHE HAS advanced DEMENTIA and lives in a ASSISTED living facility. it's 4k PER MONTH. we had INSURANCE for that. it's good TILL OCT 2018. it pays 150 DOLLARS PER day.

Ok, then you may want to look into filing for a legal guardianship over mother in the local probate court where she lives if you feel that brother is improperly spending her money. If you were appointed her guardian, then you can revoke his POA and then you would be the sole person in charge of her finances and care..

.

.

thanks

HE INITIALLY GUTED
THE HOUSE IN NEW YORK AND BOUGHT ALL NEW FURNITURE.
THEN HE GOT SICK
WITH PERITONITIS AND CANCER. SO I LEFT HIM ALONE WITH HIS NEW GIRL FRIEND. BUT I'VE SEEN THROUGH STATEMENTS THAT HE'S BEEN MOVING MONEY THROUGH MY MOM'S ACCOUNT . HE DENIES IT AND RECENTLY HE STATED ALL THE MONEY IS GONE BY BAB INVESTMENTS.

Ok...again, your only recourse here is to move for guardianship of mother so you can be put in control of her finances... If you do nothing, and he has no restraints, he could run through everything and then it is too late...

OK THANKS I REALLY

You are very welcome. Happy to help any time.

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. If you ever need me in the future, you can post a new question with "For Barrister" in the title and the JustAnswer employees will get it to me.

.

If you feel I have answered all your questions, I would very much appreciate a 5 star rating by clicking on the rating scale on your screen as that is the only way I receive credit for my work.

.

.

Thanks much

I'M INTERESTED
IN GETTING MY HALF AND HAVING
IT MANAGED BY MY ACCOUNTANT . I NEED TO GET HIM TO SHOW THE ASSETS FROM 2015 GOING FORWARD

Ok, but that requires you to do something... and you don't get any money until mother passes.. So it is all mother's money right now, not yours, not brothers... so you have to take action to protect mother's money so there is something left to pay for her care and to potentially inherit when she passes.

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney