Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Wow. you look like a movie star. My father died in 1999 and…

Customer Question
Wow. you look like...

Wow. you look like a movie star. My father died in 1999 and his three children were left with a 48.6 acre farm (my mother grew up there and was heir until it went to him when she died). Inheritance tax was paid on my father's house, but not the farm. In Fall 2015, the 21 heirs to the farm formed an LLC. My question is this: Do we pay inheritance taxes from 1999 to present; or do we pay inheritance tax from the time the LLC was formed in 2015. Wouldn't the attorney for the LLC have noticed that there were outstanding taxes due. I am totally confused.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Allegheny, PA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

We (the 3 children) have my father's will and we are listed on the LLC agreement. There are 3 managers, but all the heirs had to sign the original agreement.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I researched the value of the property in 1999 and based on this, have taxes + interest due. This includes calculations until Dec. 31, 2017. My brother did mention: Chief Counsel Office willingness to negotiate a settlement to receive a Lien Clearance Certificate from the State.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/12/2017
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Which Attorney are you referring to?

the one in the picture
I cannot afford to pay more. thank you.
are you still there. I thought we were doing a chat.
please respond so that I know you are in the chat

You did not need to pay for a telephone call. Please just ignore the request. The site generates the request. This did not come from me.

Let me place you in the Tax category. One moment please.

I just charged $50, does a phone call to my land line mean I have to pay an additional amount. Land line ***************

The Attorneys do not have access to your account nor do we know what the site charges. One moment please. Let me have this question moved and and provide you with the phone number for customer service to discuss the charge.

I still did not receive an answer to my questions. Why would you transfer me to Customer service.
Is this a scam
I will do the chat. Isn't that what we started.

I am having your question moved to tax and estate tax. This is the number for customer service US / Canada 1-***-***-****

I am not calling any number. I would like to have my questions answered. I will continue to chat until I receive them.
Can the tax and estate lawyers see my chat.
I am still waiting. I see that you are recommended by BBB.

Yes. Your question was moved. Thank you for your patience.

thank you. I will keep checking my emails.
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 6 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Inheritance tax payments are due upon the death of the decedent and become delinquent nine months after the individual's death. If inheritance tax is paid within three months of the decedent's death, a 5 percent discount is allowed.

Certain farmland and other agricultural property are exempt from Pennsylvania inheritance tax, provided the property is transferred to eligible recipients.

I am not quite sure what happened here. Are you saying that at the time of death, this was not all figured out?

The farm has been vacant for 54 years (when my grandfather died). My one aunt continued to pay the taxes for a long time (I have not idea what her motive was). When this aunt died in 2005, it was decided to sell the farm. At that time, all of my grandfather's children were dead, and the grandchildren took over. The grandchildren have pitched in and continued to pay the taxes and insurance on the property. Then in Sept 2015, an LLC was formed with all of the grandchildren as heirs.

Okay. Have you checked to see if the farm is exempt from the inheritance tax? By the way, the formation of the LLC is not the time from when inheritance taxes are calculated; it would calculated when the owner of the property died. So, if there was an inheritance tax, the inheritance tax would be calculated on that owner's share of the property at the time of death.

How could the farm be exempt from the inheritance tax? I went into Pittsburgh, PA and filed a Clean & Green Appeal
where taxes were reduced because 10 or more acres were timber and 10 or more acres could be used for farming.
The farm was granted the Clean & Green.
Question: When the LLC was set up, would that have been the time for the attorney of the LLC to check to see if there are any outstanding taxes or liens. Is that proper procedure?

Okay. I just wanted to make sure you checked into it. And you already did get taxes reduced on it.

Was farm still in the name of the grandfather before the LLC was formed?

No. All of his 9 children were on the deed after he died in 1964. After his 9 children died, there were 17 grandchildren on the deed when the LLC was formed. I am not sure if all/any of the grandchildren have paid their share of inheritance taxes.
We are meeting this Saturday to finalized agreement to sell the farm.

Each should pay there share of the inheritance tax. The formation of the LLC is a byproduct is not a determining point. If there are inheritance taxes outstanding, each grandchild should have paid there share of the inheritance tax when their parent died.

If you have anymore questions, just let me know.

one more question: is it possible to file with Chief Counsel Office on willingness to negotiate a settlement to receive a Lien Clearance Certificate from the State.

I am not quite sure. You would be involving inheritances taxes. So, I am not quite sure what the Office would say. It would not hurt to try.

If you have any more questions, just let me know.

I am stepping away now. I hope our conversation has been helpful to you. If you need anything further, just let me know and I can respond when I return. If not, I have been happy to assist you today. Best regards.

Hello there. I am back.

Do you need any more help? If so, let me know.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.