Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Me and my sister are co executors of my stepmothers estate…

Customer Question
Me and my sister are...
Me and my sister are co executors of my stepmothers estate and we are also the only ones in the will. We need to know what would be a legal paper that we both sign agreeing not to go to the properties without the other ones consent and also she would agree to pay me the money I am owed for paying the taxes and bills. I also will be reimbursed for repairs made to the car that is part of the estate but which she is going to receive in the division of the estate I also have jewelry that is to be devided or sold and the money split. My problem with needing this paper is my sister doesn’t work and hasn’t worked for years so if I have no way to protect myself she will get her half of the money and not reimburse me for any of the expenses I do not know what to do to protect myself she has done this to people before and once she gets the money she will blow it and there is no way to recover my money she has went 20 years without working. If we write up a contract ourselves and have it notarized and witnesses will that be legally binding or do we need to go before a judge to make it a binding contract?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/11/2017
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

What you are agreeing to is a stipulation of settlement. Usually, you would present the settlement agreement to the Judge if there was a pending motion in court and the court would sign it to make it an order of the court. In other words, if someone objected to the accounting of the estate or to a will offered to probate, then the parties can enter into a settlement agreement and the Judge could sign it also. Otherwise, the agreement would not have to be presented to the Judge but it could be a good idea to file it with court clerk.

We can continue to discuss this if you want to do so. If you have further questions, just let me know. If you need any clarification, just let me know too.

Hello again:

Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.

Hello again:

Just checking whether you got all that you needed from Just Answer. If so, let me know. if not, let me know. Thank you.