Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mom died in May. Her and her husband had a joint savings…

Customer Question
My mom died in...

My mom died in May. Her and her husband had a joint savings account. He then died in July. Are my brothers and sisters entitle to half of that? It was not in the will. The money was saved during their marriage. He had 4 kids also and they have it all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

They lived in Ohio and after she died he moved to Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Such as? The will only mentioned objects. The bank savings was in both of their names. I would not question this if he had lived longer but since he died 2 months later if seems far this would be divided all the kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

They were married for 17 years. The money they saved was equal. When we had to put mom in a nursing home he starting sending large sums of money to his one daughter. Then he had a place in TX. he put in his daughters name. He only let us have access to mom's things 3 times which he watched and he didn't let us have any access to any papers.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/9/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Her estate could send demand letter and make a claim against his estate.Her estate would have to sue his estate if this is not resolved.You would have to open probate here .The person appointed personal representative( you) can pursue this on behalf of the estate here in Ohio.

I appreciate the chance to help; you tonight , so sorry for your loss of mom.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

She did not have an estate. Would this change things? Is there any way we could find out the amount of this savings account?

As PR you could do so.You can try calling bank since you aren't PR yet not sure if they will talk to you.