Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My husband died without a will. I am on the title to the…

Customer Question
My husband died without...

My husband died without a will. I am on the title to the house but not the loan. Can I walk away from the house with no effects to my credit? i live in Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Louisiana

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

There is no morgage insurance, i am going through a suceccsion

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I an co executor with his son.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/8/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
My sympathies for your loss.
Only the person whose name is ***** ***** loan will have their credit affected. Spouses who are on deed only will not be affected.Additionally an executor has a fiduciary duty to the heirs so generally if a person does not want an inheritance they will sign what is called a disclaimer and then the executor would distribute the property to the next in line.
does this apply in the state of Louisiana?
that is correct.Here is a case on pointhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ca5.uscourts.gov/opinions%255Cpub%255C09/09-10622-CV0.wpd.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjU5OrFlPnXAhXo64MKHQ2pCIIQFgg4MAQ&usg=AOvVaw2m1jc-bR6DeZh7rRazEaAF

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information