Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am a trustee of a living trust as my mother just passed…

I am a trustee of...
I am a trustee of a living trust as my mother just passed away. I met with the Estate Law attorney who prepared my parents living trust yesterday and felt comfortable with their knowledge and 30+ years experience.It's a fairly simple trust which consists of a $1M home less the outstanding mortgage.The beneficiaries consists of their church, me and 2 of my nephews of which I am the largest beneficiary. The two nephews will not receive their payouts for another 6 years as they have not yet reached the minimum age set forth in the trust. It all seems very simple and clean cut to me.My question to you is, what rates are customary for an estate lawyer to charge to help settle and estate which I have described?P.S. I was anticipating an hourly rate and they quoted me a % rate of the estates' value for Year #1, and then a much higher rate for Years #2-6. In both cases the total rate was much higher than I would have anticipated for what seems to be a fairly simple probate. What's reasonable/traditional rate?
12/7/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed California attorney with extensive estate planning and administration experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I am sorry to hear of your mother's passing. It is never easy to lose a loved one.

To clarify: you mention a trust throughout your question and then you mentioned probate at the end. Does any of the estate need to be probated or are all your mother's assets in a trust?

Sorry, sloppy language on my part. It's a living trust. Please ignore the reference to the word "probate" as her only asset (the house) is already in the trust and has been there for nearly 30 years).What I was referring to is the settlement and payout to to the beneficiaries from the sale of the the house already in the the living trust.Sorry for any confusion.

No problem, I want to answer accurately.

Answer: A trustee generally charges a percentage fee based on the assets of the estate for their services. However, an attorney should not be charging a percentage of the estate for assisting in closing out the estate and distributing the assets of the trust. The normal fee for an attorney for this type of matter would be an hourly rate. The hourly rates in California have a wide range, but are generally between $250 to $600 depending on the prestige of the firm handling the matter, where you are located in California, and the experience of the attorney.

If you are located in Southern California, I would be happy to provide a referral that can give you a quote on assisting with this matter.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Roy Hadavi
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.