Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can an executor of a will close the probate without the

Customer Question
Can an executor of...

Can an executor of a will close the probate without the other family members who are mentioned in the will checking it first? Thanks, Cathy

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

A copy of the will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

My uncle left most all of his estate to one niece, except a portion of money to four of his other nieces, we not sure what happened to his annitites and stocks.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney
I am sorry to hear this. No. An executor may not close the estate until all property is disbursed. Typically the executor will provide a final accounting and request a release from the heirs and then the proceeding will be closed. It is possible that some property will not be probated. For example if there are bank accounts or other property that name a pay on death beneficiary those pass outside of probate by operation of the law, to the named beneficiary.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here:
http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information