Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother passed away without a legal will. He lived in…

Customer Question
My brother passed away...

My brother passed away without a legal will. He lived in Memphis Tn, but owned the condo I am living in, in Houston, TX. How do I go about filing an Affidavit of Heir? Condo value at: $60,000.00.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

My brother lived in Memphis, TN, and the condo is in Houston, TX.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Not yet for this condo only his home in Memphis an affidavit of Heir has been filed. Lawyer said he is not license for Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, just that I have 2 other siblings (brothers) and they all agree for me to have the condo.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 6 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry for your loss. Understand that to qualify for a small estate affidavit, the value of the probate estate must be $50,000 or less, not counting the value of the homestead and other exempt property, and, the total assets (not counting homestead & exempt property) exceed the known debts of the estate.

Assuming this is true, then one can file a small estate affidavit - see HERE for specific instructions of how to file in Houston, and, the form. Note that a probate action may have to be filed in TN as well, if he lived there.

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.