Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

If I am a beneficiary of a CD in Maryland will that money be…

Customer Question
If I am a...

If I am a beneficiary of a CD in Maryland will that money be taxable to me after the owners death?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

None just listed as beneficiary on the CD

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Maryland is one of a handful of states that does have an inheritance tax, meaning you could be required to pay state taxes on the money. However, spouses, siblings, and parents are exempt from having to pay. If the current owner is related to you in one of those ways, the tax would be waived. Otherwise, it's currently 10%.

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney