Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I am executive of my mom who just passed. I live in oregon.

Customer Question
I am executive of...

I am executive of my mom who just passed. I live in oregon. Her car is regisered only under her name what do I need to do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have her oregon registration, insurace certification which we are both on.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/7/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 6 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Is this the only assets here or is there real property?

That is the only asset

Give me a minute.

So here you fall under Title does not have survivorship Estate not probated here

Provide the following to

DMV

:

A completed

Application for

Title and Registration

;

The Oregon title, if available

Notarized

Inheritance Affidavit(s)

completed by all heirs (all heirs do not

have to be on the same form

);

If all owners are changing, an

odometer disclosure

, if required;

Original

releases

or bills of sale

from

any previous owners, other than the

deceased

owner(s);

Original

lien releases from any previous security interest holders

; and

The appropriate title

fee

.

Submit the documents

and payment to

DMV

. If you also want registration, go to

page 3

Along with all of the requirements listed in the section above

for your

situation

, you must also provide the following to DMV:

If the vehicle does not already have plates, proof of compliance, or

exemption

from

the

Low Emissions Vehicle

(LEV) requirement;

A Certificate of Compliance for passing an

emissions test at DEQ

if your

vehicle is required to be tested and you live in a

DEQ area

;

Your

plate choice

, if the vehicle does not have plates or if you want a

different plate; and

You may transfer valid Oregon plates to your

vehicle for $6.

The appropriate registration fee, based on your plate ch

oice.

Submit the documents and payment to

DMV

.

This kind of formatted weird here is dmv page

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/docs/inherit.PDF

Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

You would want to take this and go in person to DMV, that way if you missed something you can fix it there.Thanks again and thanks for rating 5 stars.

the only other heir is out of state. Will Dmv then put the vehicle in both our names? If so how do you go about selling the vehicle to a car dealership when one heir is out of state?

I would suggest you go to dmv with the forms here.They may have to flip the title twice once to both names and then to yours or they may have a way around that.

You know you are going to need these forms to retitle it once , see what they say.That gets real hard here because it is not normal probate they may have to put it in both names and you retitle it again.

You may be able to transfer this to your name as executor, complete sale, split proceeds as executor.See if they have a problem with that, listing your name as sole heir.You likely don't have to show them the will the affidavit controls.

Thank you so much.

You are so welcome thanks for rating 5 stars.

Thanks for rating 5 stars at top of page and Happy Holidays.