Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother and I sold our family home. After debts, bills,

Customer Question
My brother and I...

My brother and I sold our family home. After debts, bills, closing costs, etc., I stand to receive $5-10,000. Will I have to pay a tax on this in CT? Does it make any difference whether I get this in 2017 ir 2018?

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I don't know because my brother has done all the accounting with legal help. What documents should I have?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so. I will use the money either to buy burial plots and plan a funeral or to pay of my debts.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Can you give me an idea when I should be available? I need to go out and do some errands. Does this advice cost anything?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I told you already, but it is Connecticut.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Estate Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard, Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good afternoon. Did you inherit this home? If so, when? Thank you!