Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The beneficiary died in Aug 2016 of an irrevocable trust. i…

Customer Question
the beneficiary died in Aug...
the beneficiary died in Aug 2016 of an irrevocable trust. i have been filing a simple trust return for that trust for 22 years and the beneficiary has been picking up the income , because the income was to be distributed to the beneficiary. now that she is deceased, don't i have to file a final return on the trust return, and then open an estate account and file that income etc from the date of death of the beneficiary. others are telling me i can just finalize everything with the trust return ? which way is correct ?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/6/2017
Estate Lawyer: DamienJD, Attorney replied 7 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Are you saying that the trust no longer has a purpose or is funded because, upon the beneficiary's death, you distributed the principal to a successor beneficiary or remainderman?

they are distributing everything to the successor beneficiaries per the terms of the trust

If that is the case, then the trustee would file a final return for the trust. I am not sure what you refer to when you mentioning an estate account unless you are saying that the estate of the beneficiary is entitled to interest earned this past year that has not been distributed. Is that what you are saying?

the irrvocable trust was only to remain in effect for the benefit of his wife ( the beneficiary ) who died in august, now the assets are being distributed to the successor beneficiaries
i thought that on the death of the beneficiary, all the assets of the trust would automatically be put into an estate , either his or hers ? sounds like that is not the case

Thanks for the additional information. If there is no income to distribute to the estate of the wife, requiring the opening of an estate account, then the rest of the money is considered principal and that money is distributed to the living beneficiaries. The money would not be put into an estate account of the grantor, or the estate account of the wife unless the wife had interest due her.

We can continue to discuss this. Do you have any further questions or need clarification?

they cashed in all the stocks and turned everything into cash, so who pays the capital gains ? i guess the beneficiaries each pick up their proportion share of the capital gains which are substantial, from the sale of all these stocks then ?

Correct. If the trust is not paying the capital gains before distribution, then each beneficiary would pay the capital gains.

Do you have any other questions? I am happy to assist you.

do i have to file an estate tax return ( 1041 decedent estate ) for his wife or do we just file a final 1040 with her income and the portion of the income due her from 1-1-17 to the date of her death in august, all her assets are being divided up , the cash will be sent out in the form of a check to each beneficiary and the stocks are being divided up the same way and the actual stock is being sent to each beneficiary. don't the the beneficiaries each get a stepped up basis on the stock they receive from her ?

The estate of the wife is different and is not the trustee's responsibility. It is the responsibility of the personal representative of the wife's estate to handle her assets. If there are beneficiary's of the wife's estate, then there could be a step up basis regarding her estate assets.

I have to step away for a bit. If you have further questions, let me know. I can address them later. If not, I have been happy to help you. Best regards.

i need to file an estate tax return ( 1041 ) for the wife on behalf of the pers rep ? what is the criteria for the beneficiaries to receive a stepped up basis then ?

Possibly, the personal representative would have to file a 1041 form if the estate is earning income. However, most likely the income from the trust is subject to an income tax. The step-up basis depends on the asset.

I have been happy to help you with all your questions. Do you have any further questions?

I dont understand the when it comes to the beneficiary with a step-up basis or not , what is the criteria ?

The basis of property inherited from a decedent is generally one of the following: The fair market value (FMV) of the property on the date of the decedent's death. The FMV of the property on the alternate valuation date if the executor of the estate chooses to use the alternate valuation.

ok, thank you for your help
i was totally misled about these fees, now i have more charges on my account , i want you to refund this 46 dollars, i thought the membership was to cover any questions for this month , i want this stopped

You are welcome.