Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I was the executor of my deceased uncles estate. Two years…

Customer Question
I was the executor...

I was the executor of my deceased uncles estate. Two years prior to his passing he took out a construction loan to repair the house which was in dire need. After he passed I continued to pay the loan thinking I was doing the right thing. One month ago a letter comes from the bank saying we have learned of Robert's passing(which will be four years this April). I proceeded to make a payment and the bank manager stated you are not on this loan. Am I still responsible to pay this off?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ohio

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have his will. And the house was legally mine before he passed. That was the only piece of estate he had til he signed over to me.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The bank manager told me in not so many words; I should not pay this till I seek legal advice

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/6/2017
Estate Lawyer: Ely, Counselor at Law replied 7 months ago
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

The answer is no. You have been paying voluntarily, and you uncle's estate has been getting the benefit. However simply by you paying the loan, you did not "assume" the liability. So someone in your situation can stop at any time.

His estate remains liable. However his beneficiaries and/or executor do not, even if they have paid some of the loan off voluntarily (as you have).

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.