Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I leave in Houston Texas, my husband passed away two years…

Customer Question
Hi I leave in Houston...
Hi I leave in Houston Texas, my husband passed away two years ago, he did not leave a will behind I am trying to sell the house we bought together the only thing is that his name is ***** ***** one on the title so the company so they can’t give me full ownership of it until it’s considered community property.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/5/2017
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 7 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

While waiting for a response, please do not keep asking questions, such as "Are you there", etc. since that can erase whatever I am writing and also interrupts the thought process. I will be back with you as soon as I can do any research necessary, formulate a response, and type it in.

Is there a specific question with which I could assist?

I wanted to know what kind of legal document will I need to claim community Property?

There is no document that allows you to "claim community property" in Texas. It sounds like what you need is to do a probate on his estate which transfers his portion of the property title to whoever he named in his will or, if there was no will, then to his heirs at law.

That probate order will also specify that 50% of the home is yours based on the community property ownership.

I'm sorry, I, like many of the experts, don't participate in the telephone program. The telephone request has therefore been transferred to the queue for those experts.