Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My finance and I have been renting a house from his sister…

Customer Question
Hi, My finance and...

Hi, My finance and I have been renting a house from his sister and brother-in-law for the past 4 and 1/2 years, our rent is current and we actually have an unclaimed credit for painting the exterior of the house. Recently his sister caused his mother to have a mental break with reality, but not before she got their mother to sign a POA. She has since moved their mother down here to FL from VA and has been declared her guardian. At the hearing for guardianship my finance spoke and told the judge of his concern that if we all did not go along with his sister's plans for their mother, that his sister would kick us of our house and his daughter(who also rents a house from her) and her 4 little girls out of their house. He was also concerned that his sister was trying to get control of his mom's property in VA that has been put in trust for all of her children. The judge told ruled for his sister to be made guardian, but did caution her to keep in good communication and to act like a family for their mom's sake. A couple of weeks ago my finance received 3 motions from his sister's attorney regarding their mother and her property, my finance hasn't signed the waivers to not contest the motions, and we still have time to file a response contesting by December 6th. Today, however, his daughter and us have received notices to terminate month to month tenancy and to vacate by the 3rd week in January. We feel that this action is retaliatory due to the issues with his mom and her care, is there anything that we can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

FL

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Such as?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Great, thank you! Bear with me a moment while I review…