Estate Law

Estate Law Questions? Ask an Estate Lawyer.

Estate Law

This is regarding an ESTATE if the named beneficiary (who is…

Customer Question
This is regarding an...

This is regarding an ESTATE if the named beneficiary (who is not in the will), they have to turn over the 401k assets from the deceased to be dispursed according to the will??

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

VA

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The legal will I am the executor of the estate

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I can think of

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Any account with a named beneficiary goes to that beneficiary outside of probate. The will carries no authority over such an account and the beneficiary has no obligation to turn it over to the executor.

It belongs to the beneficiary and is not subject to claims against the estate.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

I was afraid of that. Thank you

You are very welcome.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.

Thank you!

Please remember to leave a favorable rating so that I am compensated by JA for answering your question.

Loren, Attorney