Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My daughter passed away leaving us her house. She was on…

Customer Question
My daughter passed away...

My daughter passed away leaving us her house. She was on Medicare and Medicaid. We were originally advised not to change anything because there may be a lean on her home. It's been nearly 2 years since she died and we would like to make everything legal. Can we sell her property or change the title to our name?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

PA.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

Not quite sure what documents you are asking for.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at the moment.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/4/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Your first step here would be a title run from your local title company.They can do a print out here to see if there are any liens or not.If there are none then you will need to make application for probate and be appointed personal representative.As PR you are able to sell the proeprty with court's permission or transfer it to your name as heir.

But a title report or run is prudent first step to see if you have problems here with medicaid.The liens and their dollar value would show if there are any here.

It is very possible there aren't any and you can proceed with probate.

PA title companies

http://www.firstam.com/title/find-an-office/

World Wide Land Transfer, Inc.
Marc E. Shaw, Esq.*****br />Suite 117
Trevose, PA 19053
Phone:(###) ###-####*100
Fax: 888-WWLT-FAX
Email: *****@******.***

I appreciate the chance to help you, so sorry for your loss of loved one.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.