Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

There is about 232 acres of farmland heir property in

Customer Question
There is about 232...

There is about 232 acres of farmland heir property in Alabama in which my 2 siblings and I have a 1/2 undivided interest, and the other 1/2 interest has about 12 - 15 possible heirs. I would like to partition, but some of the "cousins" cannot be found. For a partition only, as opposed to a sale, do you have to be able to find all of the potential heirs, or can they be "unknown heirs"

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

There is my great grandmother's will that has been filed. My siblings and I also filed an heir's affidavit a few years ago. There are lots of real estate and timber deeds going back years with family members from both sides.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Alabama

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
12/3/2017
Estate Lawyer: RayAnswers, Attorney replied 7 months ago
RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Attorney

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

You would need local lawyer to file here.Lawyer can do skip search on them and publish service if necessary with court's permission.A lawyer can deal with these problems, they are pretty common in such a suit.

Legal Services Alabama (LSA)

***** Suite 1200

Montgomery, AL 36104

(###) ###-####/p>

You can locate a lawyer here to file such a suit.Remember all legal fees and costs are taken out of gross sale so everybody shares them.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Good luck with partition.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Happy Holidays to you.