Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I live in Montrose, CO and my father has become a of the…

Customer Question
I live in Montrose, CO...
I live in Montrose, CO and my father has become a ward of the state and I am his only heir and now I'm locked out of his house and machine shop and I don't know what my rights are. I have a will that he made out and a power of attorney that they overlooked when they put him in a nursing home.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Can I still conduct business out of the machine shop and rent the house out or live in it myself?
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/1/2017
Estate Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If he has become a ward of the state, the state is likely now trying to exert a lien over his property and contents. At this point, if your name is ***** ***** the deed to the property, you would need a local attorney to take the state to court to allow you access to the property to obtain your tools and equipment and personal items and to fight the state over the lien they are placing on the home.

The state, when they provide long term care, has a right to recover from the property of the ward, so by them locking down the property they are trying to exercise that right and their right to recover comes before any of the heirs to the estate of the ward.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney