Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My brother lived with me for six years, the last year before…

Customer Question
My brother lived with...

My brother lived with me for six years, the last year before he passed away, he told me to keep his 2007 GMC truck. I nursed him and took care of him prior to his death April 18 2014. His oldest son knows this but has not helped me in title transfer to my name. He knows where I live and has made no attempts to either help or take the vehicle. I feel it is mine, it is currently not running g, the transmission is out and I can't afford to repair it. I live on AS only. How can I or is there a legal way to get the title in my name so I can sell it for salvage? I really need some idea where I stand.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is this in? And how old is the car?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No. He had no will, no probate. All he had was life insurance which went to his kids.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing except that his kids had no dealings with his care and Dr. visits. I certainly did not care that they did nit help, he was my brother and I cared for him be fore death just as I did for my Mom and Dad. Over half of his personal belongings are still here at my house, I have asked several times for them to come and get them.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/30/2017
Estate Lawyer: Dwayne B., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me several minutes to read your facts and type my response both initially and when you add a follow up question or add facts. Please don't ask "are you there", etc., since when you post it can erase what I am working on. If we are having a conversation unless I tell you I am going offline, I will be here but I may be doing research.

Ok

Your question: How can I or is there a legal way to get the title in my name so I can sell it for salvage?

Answer: Since your brother has passed away you are going to have to do some type of probate to transfer the title from his estate to anyone else. Typically what would happen since none of this is in writing, is that you would have to sue the brother or his estate to establish your right to the vehicle. However, that essentially doubles the amount of costs for you and therefore what I would suggest is meeting with a local attorney and discussing what the local probate judge would be willing to accept to resolve your portion of the estate and whether he would require that all the formalities be met. There is no easy, and legal, way to transfer the vehicle to your name since, at this time, it is owned by the estate of your brother which was created automatically upon his death. Anything you do to transfer the title to your name without going through probate court would be illegal and could result in criminal charges at some point.

I really can't afford any more charges. Im not dirt poor but I do have a very small income ( S S ) only and two pets in dire need of medical attention.

If you receive a notice or email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the notice or email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and under your facts this format should be sufficient.

How do i get out of this site and cancel my subscription?