Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

When considering the value of an estate in probate, is the…

When considering the value of...
When considering the value of an estate in probate, is the value of the non-probate inventory added?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/30/2017
originallawyer
originallawyer, Attorney

Thanks for your question! I am working on your answer. Please stand by!

Generally speaking no, assets like a life insurance policy that has a clear beneficiary that pass out side of probate do not get calculated into the value of an estate for inventory purposes.

Thank you.
One followup:
Considering the original verified probate appraisement, what percentage are the items depreciated each year?
(vehicles, house, furnishings, etc.).
Is there a formula?

That would depend primarily on the state where the probate is taking place, but I do not believe there is a one size fits all formula for determining this.

But is it correct that there would generally be a depreciation factored in to these type items?

That again would be state specific, but yes, if the value of the estate changed, say for instance, the value of a property going up or down, that would need to be reflected in updated estate accounts. But that would not necessarily depend on a depreciation formula but the reappraisal or reevaluation of the property.

originallawyer
originallawyer, Attorney
Thank you!