Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I had care of my dad for the last 4 years, and he passed…

Customer Question
I had care of...

I had care of my dad for the last 4 years, and he passed away recently. His former care-giver is listed as his beneficiary in spite of the fact that I had power of attorney. Can I contest that, and how do I go about it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Can you tell me what state this is in? And just to clarify, what paperwork has been filed?

Nevada, no paperwork. I had a power of attorney, but that ends upon death I'm told.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I'm not sure what you mean. All of his bills have been coming to me, and I have the power of attorney paperwork.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He was removed from care of the previous caregiver, and an adult protection report was made when he came to me.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Attorney2, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Welcome and thank you for your question. Was your father of sound mind when he made the caregiver a beneficiary? Did he do this through a will or trust?

No, this is on his Public Employees Retirement System, and he was when he made them beneficiary, as well as when I took over his care.

Thank you for the clarification. You are stating that he was of sound mind when he made them beneficiary?