Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My mother passed and left a reverse mortgage. There are 4…

Customer Question
Good Morning, Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good Morning,

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

My mother passed and left a reverse mortgage. There are 4 children. I am in the process of acquiring a loan to pay off the reverse mortgage. Do I need approval from my siblings? They are not on the deed, there is no will or living trust. I live in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I reported her death. I am waiting for her death certificate. What could be recorded?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How can I find out if anything is reported? I cheked the title and it is unchanged.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

You don't need approval from your siblings to pay off the reverse mortgage....anyone could do that.. But if you do, then mother's estate just gets the property....not you... And default state law would determine that all the children would inherit the house equally.

.

So before you spend your personal money paying off the debt of the estate, you would want to make sure that your siblings sign something agreeing to waive any interest in the house.. If not, you could spend your money, and then one or more siblings demand their 25% each of the house and can force a sale of it and you just lose the money you spent to redeem the house..

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much