Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Can my single member LLC be a part of my living trust? If…

Customer Question
Can my single member LLC...
Can my single member LLC be a part of my living trust? If so, will this negate any liability protections provided by the LLC? What paperwork is needed to transfer it? My LLC holds a vacation rental as the primary asset. Both I and the real estate are in New Mexico (USA).
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

ok

Thanks so much for your patience. The answer to your question is yes, your LLC can be a part of your living trust. It won't negate any liability at all. There's no special paperwork; however, what I would recommend doing is stating in your trust documents that although the trust will be the owner of the LLC, you will stay on as the operator of the LLC and will be subject to the same protections as any operator of the LLC would have. What other questions did you have for me?