Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Have only two children. Need a CD for each one, with the…

Customer Question
Have only two children...

Have only two children. Need a CD for each one, with the other as beneficiary. Want to completely eliminate their children from heirship.

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I am in California. One daughter is also in California. The other daughter is in Texas.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I will buy a CD for each one, but want each to be the heir of the other.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it !

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/29/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

I have read your comments, but I am not sure what your legal question is?

.

Are you asking how to go about getting the CD beneficiary designation done?

.

And you don't want to leave the grandchildren anything in case your child passes?

.

.

thanks

Correct. Prior provisions already made for grandchildren. Want simple info on how to entitle the two CDs to accomplish my purpose - - each daughter to inherit these from the other.
No additional info needed, and it appears that the $5 fee is only a gimmick.Please delete all my info and I will have to seek a live, local attorney.

Ok, with CDs, you can title the CD to the primary owner/beneficiary and then name a contingent beneficiary on the paperwork with the bank.

.

So you would just purchase a CD for each daughter, title it to one as the primary owner/beneficiary and then make sure that the bank notes on the paperwork that the other daughter is a contingent beneficiary in the event that the primary passes.

.

.

thanks