Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

In the early '90s my stepfather passed. He left my mother a…

Customer Question
In the early '90s my...
In the early '90s my stepfather passed. He left my mother a simple trust of $25k set up so she could collect the monthly interest checks. She is now 92 and I am the trustee. My stepfather set up his will that upon her death these monies in the trust were willed to a private freestanding rehab center. This is my question. The rehab center no longer exists in it's original form. Since 2000 or so it was acquired by a small not for profit hospital system and that is now a part of a larger national system specifically Catholic Health Initiatives. Since the rehab center was acquired and longer exists by name does that trust fund now go to CHI ? I would assume that debts and liabilities as well as anything bequeathed would follow. These acquisitions were not purchases but "alignments" since all are not for profit. We live in Texas. Thank you so much for your time.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/27/2017
Estate Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Loren, Attorney

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Does the trust make any provision for your discretion in choosing an alternate beneficiary or give any direction if the primary beneficiary does not exist?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney