Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My aunt passed away there was no living well it was

Customer Question
unexpected. I took over her...
my aunt passed away there was no living well it was unexpected. I took over her bills that were due and spoke with One bank they said I was responsible something can you help me I need the forms and know what I need to do
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/24/2017
Estate Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Attorney replied 8 months ago
Lucy, Esq., Attorney

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry for your loss.

Did your aunt leave any assets that may be used to pay the bills? Did you ever go to court to get appointed administrator of her estate? If not, why are they saying that you need to pay?

no I do not regret any money or any assets she did not leave me anything unfortunately she left everything to her husband Ron who died two weeks prior to her dying everything was left to him in the will. So now there is no will there is absolutely no well I took it upon myself to make payments on a camper that they had a 2006 very nice camper just cuz the bill is due. I took over responsibilities of the payments. I was thinking of getting it refinanced and put in my name. But when I spoke to the bank they said it was not necessary to refinance it that I could just continue the payments until it's paid off which is not much longer. But what is this called it has a legal name something over responsibility is there a form that I need

Does she have any living children, parents, or other relatives?

The bank doesn't care who pays them. They just want the money, and they'd rather not deal with the time and expense of repossession. But you still have to open an estate to get the camper transferred into your name after it's paid off. And that means establishing that you're the rightful heir. When a person dies without a will, state statute says who gets their assets - I just want to make sure you're not paying on an item you don't have any rights to.

No there is no living well. No assets were left to anyone no living will what is it called when I assumed responsibility over her bills what is that called Legal terminology

Your answers do not seem to be addressing the questions I've asked. Here's what I need to know:

1. Did your aunt possess any other assets at the time of her death?

2. Did your aunt have any other living relatives. If so, who?

I could tell you the legal term, but if you don't have a legal right to the camper, you will be paying the bank for nothing. And that means I need you to answer my questions please.

she had a house paid for two cars paid for and no no money in the bank what is the terminology for what I did

At the moment, what you did is give a gift to the estate.

There is no law that allows one person to pay down the debts of another and claim their property. I realize that you're frustrated and you think there's a very simple answer here, but I would not be doing my job if I weren't asking these questions. I need to know if she has any other living relatives. Because if she does, you might just be giving that person money without realizing it.

The legal word you're looking for is assuming the loan. The bank probably has a form you can fill out to assume the loan. But that doesn't give you a legal right to the camper. That just says you're promising to give them money.

To get a legal right to the camper, someone has to administer the estate, which requires going to court. That person can be you if you want to do it.

There was a problem with your payment. If you would still like a phone call, you should be able to request it by pushing the red "call me" button. Customer service can help if you don't see it.