Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

My aunt was planning to die hospice is there she passed away…

Customer Question
My aunt was planning to...
My aunt was planning to die hospice is there she passed away September 12th, everything in her will is left to a husband who passed this September 1st. There was no other well made there is no other blood relatives left. I was their Foster child for 14 years . I didn't know what to do oh, I took it upon myself to start making payments on some of the assets that had liens on them what is this called? I know it's like something.... Xxxxx over responsibility or responsibility over... I'm not sure. I spoke with her bank that I was making the payments to and they wanted to, not refinance but make me responsible for the payments and it would be in my name after paid off what is this called? And what and what is the form called that I was supposed to fill out. I lost it. I need to recover it as soon as possible could you help me.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/24/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 4 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Did aunt and her husband have any children of their own? Any grandchildren?

.

What assets are you referring to? real estate, vehicles, personal property, bank accounts?

.

Were you ever legally adopted by them?

..

.

thanks

I answered his questions but I have one quick question, there isn't form or a name for what I've done when I paid that bill or bills to take over or take over her bills what is that called?

Not sure what you are referring to... You never become legally liable for a deceased person's debts personally... Only their estate is liable for their debts.

.

If you filed a probate case to be appointed Administrator of the estate, you then would use estate assets to pay debts and then settle the estate and end up distributing any surplus assets to their legal heirs.

.

If you are referring to a situation where someone takes over real estate and pays on it as a trespasser and then eventually claims it as their own, that is called "Adverse possession"...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

Barrister, Attorney