Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

96 yo mother died and youngest of 4 siblings wrote her last…

Customer Question
96 yo mother died...

96 yo mother died and youngest of 4 siblings wrote her last will and testament leaving house and land worth $400K to him and transferred title to him. Other two siblings (all lawyers) have challenged the will. Can I obtain the letters of objection of the two siblings (no one speaks to one another)?

Lawyer's Assistant: Estate laws vary by state. What state are you in?

The will is in Minnesota and I live in New York City.

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have the last will and my Mother's will from the death of my father in 2008. She has a intervening will that I helped her with and subsequently 9 amendments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. The will had a trust of $438K that Mother gave to 7 grandchildren ($350K) and remainder for expenses. Last will changed this to an irrevocable will and made youngest brother sole trustee. I suspect the other two siblings wish to be compensated for their share of house and land.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/23/2017
Estate Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 6 months ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
The objections should be available at the surrogate court where filed.A will can be set aside under limited situations namely duress, fraud or lack of legal capacity.Often such claims will settle.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
The objections were mailed to the Executor who gave them to his lawyer. The lawyer mailed me a letter saying that a probate court will handle will in a few weeks. I would like to read the objections.
The executor should share them and direct the lawyer to do so. The probate court would have it on file for you to inspect. I would pursue those two options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Attorney