Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

How do I speak with a Probate Attorney for Bexar County, TX?

Customer Question
How do I speak...

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

I have signed Promissory Notes from my son who died June 30,2017. He has an attorney in a vehicular accident and they tell me I need to contact a probate attorney to file anything in the estate. No will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I hope not..............but who knows

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Attorney replied 8 months ago
Expert James
Expert James, Attorney

If you are looking for a lawyer to answer questions, I can do that. But if you are looking for an attorney to represent your son's estate, I am not allowed to take the case. What are you seeking, exactly? Answers to questions about wills and estates? Or the lawyer to handle the case?

I just need some answers about whether it is appropriate to add his debts to me to his estate.
Can you call me at(###) ###-####

I cannot call you without you first accepting the offer for a phone call, which is an additional fee.

Please ask your questions.

Don't have the $59. My deceased son now has a lawsuit going with TJ Henry's firm that needs to go to probate. No will. I am not an heir as he had an estranged wife. However, I just need to know, if appropriate, how to handle any debts he had with me. Do these past debts need to be involved with his accident? e tc.

I do not understand what you mean by "any debts he had with you." Do you mean debts for which you signed a promissory note, like a cosignor?

I have promissory notes...............
Hi there,My apologies for the long delay. The holidays make for an erratic schedule. Thank you for your patience. Your answer is below. When you get your answers, you will be asked to give a rating - 4 or 5 stars are appreciated. This is important because this is how I credit for doing my job. Don't worry, you can still ask related follow-up questions even after you've given a rating. Thank you!ANSWER: To answer your question, the promissory note that you signed on behalf of your son to a third party is a contract between you and the third party promising to pay then if your son doesn’t. So you would owe them the money if your son can’t pay. The first thing that should happen is that his estate pays the debt to whom it is owed. If his estate can’t pay, then you, the person who said you’d pay the debt if he didn’t, would be responsible for paying off the debt. Whatever agreement made between you and your son is not between your sons estate and you. Whatever agreement you made with a third party to pay you sons debt if he did not is between you and the third party.Now if there is a debt your son owes to you, then that needs to be handled between your sons estate and you. The injury attorney doesn’t pay you directly. His client is your son’s estate. Then your son’s estate pays you any debts owed.So you need to first determine who is the administrator or executor of the estate. Since there is no will, that will have to be assigned by a private court. Then his estate will pay off all debts, and anything left over will pass on to his heirs at law, which is determined by statute.If you are his next of kin, you need to get a death certificate and start at the probate court by having the court appoint an executor of his estate.I hope that answers your questions. Please remember to give me credit for doing my job by clicking on 4 or 5 stars at the top of your screen.A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today. And remember, you can still ask follow-up questions if you need to.If you want to talk on the phone, I am available to do that for an additional fee.And if you have new questions in the future, you should write FOR JAMES in the question. That way, I become your personal Professional.Thank you!
Estate Lawyer: Expert James, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hi, I’m just checking in to see how things are going. I see you have reviewed my answer but I have not received credit for it. Remember that the rating is not based on the outcome you wanted or desired, but instead, on my service to you. Negative ratings are reserved for Experts who are rude or unprofessional.

Do you need more help?

Thank you!