Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

Because my parents are getting older and wish to stay in…

Customer Question
Because my parents are...

Because my parents are getting older and wish to stay in their home, I would like to be there for them. I feel the best way to do that would be for me to purchase and live out of a trailer which I would put on my parents property to house. They live in Woburn MA and I was wondering if it would be possible to do that?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That it is Woburn MA and I think each city has its own laws?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago
Edward Young

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please give me a moment to formulate a response. Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.​

Estate Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

What size lot do your parents have and is it located in a subdivision?​

Estate Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

You can have a mobile home on your parents’ property but, according to the zoning code, it can only be a ‘temporary facility”. I could not find a definition of what a temporary facility is. Here is the relevant section from the code:

"MOBILE HOME: Any structure or object which is drawn by or used in connection with a motor vehicle and which is so designed and constructed or reconstructed or added to by means of accessories as to permit the use and occupancy thereof for human habitation, whether resting on wheels, jacks or other bases. It shall include the type of object containing complete electrical, plumbing and sanitary facilities and designed to be installed on a temporary or permanent foundation for permanent living quarters. This facility shall be used as a temporary facility only, as spelled out in Sec. 5.1, Table of Use Regulations."

I would start by calling the City Clerk’s office at(###) ###-#### and ask who can answer the question of how long your trailer can stay.

I hope this helps.

Please go ahead and rate me. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Estate Lawyer: Edward Young,
 replied 8 months ago

Do you have another question for me? If not, please rate me. That is the only way that I get credit for the work that I have done for you.

Thanks

Why should I have to call when I just paid u for ur service and in all actuality, it was not answered to the fullest extent that it could be. Therefore, I should not be charged.