Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

I have a Father that i am concerned may need to go into a…

Customer Question
I have a Father that...
I have a Father that i am concerned may need to go into a nursing home in the future. I am considering selling his house( 120,000 owned free and clear)- he has 17,000 in a joint account with myself . My question is - if he goes onto Medicaid how will they view these transactions? If he gives money to his grandchildren and children- will the state have the ability to go back and "claw back" these gifts? Is there a time limit? By the way its in the state of Ohio
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/21/2017
Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Attorney

Hello! I will be reviewing your question and posting a response momentarily; if you have any follow up questions please respond here. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear of your father's declining health;

Medicaid does have a 5 year look back period, so any gifts or below fair market value transfers made in the 5 years before the application can serve to disqualify the recipient from benefits.

A person is allowed $2000 in nonexempt assets and still qualify; fortunately a home (primary residence) is considered exempt so it is not counted provided the person, on the application, indicates an intent to return (whether or not that is a realistic possibility).

Please see:

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/LawYouCanUse-418.aspx

which explains assets and eligibility.

If a party has assets that exceed the maximum allowance they can "spend down" those assets by purchasing qualifying assets such as funeral/burial plots, home improvements to an exempt home, ordinary household goods, etc;

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Estate Lawyer: LegalGems, Attorney replied 6 months ago

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: