Estate Law

Estate law questions? Ask an estate lawyer.

The executer of the state is selling items some items that…

Customer Question
The executer of the...

The executer of the state is selling items some items that two heirs of the estate want. Can this be done without allowing the heirs the first opportunity to buy the items?

Lawyer's Assistant: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: What documents or supporting evidence do you have?

The items are some dolls. The executer of the estate have been established by court.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The items were promised to the heir before the death of person, but there was no will left.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Estate Law
11/20/2017
Estate Lawyer: Barrister, Attorney replied 9 months ago
Barrister, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

The executor is given the authority from the court to liquidate items that are not specifically gifted to a certain individual in their discretion. However, if there are items that multiple people are interested in, the fairest way to address this would be to have an auction where the interested parties bid on the items and the highest bidder gets them. This generates the most income for the estate and in turn benefits the beneficiaries of the estate as their inheritance increases.

.

If the heirs feel that the executor is not being fair, they can file a formal objection with the probate court and ask for the judge to rule on whether the items should be put up for public auction.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much